Monday, November 2, 2009

Something Different

I love to read. It's one of my Favorite hobbies. Last year alone I read 58 books. I used to love it when we lived close to the library....I would hop on my bike with my backpack, get a ton of paperbacks (16-20) and then whip through them all within a week or two. This year has been no exception. On Facebook I keep a list of books I have read along and a small blurb on my thoughts about each one. I decided it would be fun to highlight one-two books every week or two. Since I didn't partake in any Halloween activities this year and instead whipped through books when I was not volunteering at the Hope Lodge, Here are the two books I would like to talk about.

I'll start with the one I loved first. Ever since I heard that Patrick Swayze had written an autobiography during his battle with Cancer I knew I wanted to get it. Well, the library had it for me on Friday and I started to read. I have to say that this book is a must read. If you think the whole book is about his fight with cancer, you would be mistaken. I loved reading about his Childhood, how he met his wife Lisa, their struggles with having enough money for food and rent as they went through dance schools and companies, the ongoing knee injury he faced, family tragedies and what he learned from them and so much more. I found myself not being able to put this book down. I like the fact that he did not come off as someone who was too big for their britches nor as someone who made excuses for every single mistake they ever made (e.g. Valerie Bertenelli and her autobiography). I found myself relating to struggles he faced with things such as identity, the loss of a family member and most of all the heartbreak he and his wife faced as they battled infertility. I highly recommend this book!




As for the second book I read (Smart Women by Judy Blume) I cannot say the same thing. What I can say about this book is that it reminded me a lot of an episode of Desperate Housewives (from what I have heard). The story revolves around three 40 something divorced women and their families. It was more a story of bed hopping and these women worrying so much about their own "happiness and satisfaction" that they seem to forget about their children. When I was growing up I enjoyed Judy Blume's books. In 1999 I read her book Summer Sisters (which overall I liked but hated the ending). I was hoping for a lot more form this author and I was sorely dissapointed. I stopped reading the book with 2 chapters left (it was 352 pages of bed hopping and selfishness). I will not be pursuing any more books from this author, that's for sure!

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed my post. Have a good week!

-Jackie

1 comment:

Amber D said...

Woo Hoo Book reviews make me very happy I'm always looking for a new book to read thanks I'm going to have to check out Patrick's book.