Friday, June 19, 2009

New things of yesteryear

Today I was doing my routine checking of e-mail before work and came across a blog about Food and Drink Trends of the 1990's......Surge, Mentos, Koala Yummies, etc. When I thought about the post I realized there were a lot of trends I enjoyed that were not in this post...Doritos 3D, Clearly Canadian, Pizza Hut's Bigfoot pizza and of course Crystal Pepsi. I went beyond what I would normally do and researched some of these trends--the biggest one being the Okay Soda Trend. The idea for Okay soda came from the same gentleman who came up with the idea for New Coke in the 80s. They found that Coke was the 2nd most commonly used word in the world while the #1 word was Ok. So they came out with Ok soda and released it in limited test markets (Minneapolis, MN included) in 1994. Despite a strong "Gen X" ad campaign..the soda flopped. I remember trying it and thinking to myself "This is just okay...nothing special." I also started a dialogue on Facebook posting the article about the food and drink trends of the 90's and also talking about my favorite 90's trends. Over all, I love 1980's Nostalgia the best (80's items, 80's movies, 80's cit coms...) but since my teenage/college years were in the 1990's it's also nice to take a trip down the road of that decade once in awhile. Above is a picture of Mario Brothers soda. For the life of me I cannot remember this at all. Can anyone else?

-Jackie

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Cool post! I'll have to check that site out. Forgot to mention sooner I love the new header..Fun!