Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas was delayed/a end of a 7 year Tradition.





As some of you already know, my family Christmas was delayed due to the Winter Blizzard that Hit MN, the Dakotas and Iowa especially hard (and made it's way on down all the way to Texas)! Because of the storm my sister and niece were not able to make it up and we were not able to either because the Highway leading to the road by my Mom's was covered in ice. Needless to say we have rescheduled for New Years day but my Brother (the chef) is stuck working that day. =( Major Bummer.


But that's not really the subject of today's entry. Today I wanted to talk about Christian Radio stations. Since 2002 I had been listening to one main Christian Station called KTIS. In the early years I used to look forward to listening to it on the way to work and was involved with helping the station by volunteering and contributing financially. I also enjoyed attending events like the Point of Grace Concert at Mall of America that they sponsored. But over the last 3-4 years the station has adopted more of a "corporate" format adopting the catch phrases like "Keeping your family safe on the way to work and school," introducing games like the "Family name game" that leave people out of contention if they don't have children and they play the same songs over and over again. I contacted the station a few times and even offered suggestions as to how they could change the station to minister to everyone but I was ignored on all attempts.

Last night I read a "rant" entry from my friend Dan who recently moved to Atlanta from MN (he works for Delta). He was expressing his frustrations over how the radio station in Atlanta (The Fish) has adopted the same corporate format and the same contests, mottos and songs. I same to find out through the open discussion that there was another radio station here called KLove that plays a variety of songs and doesn't have the corporate motto or catch phrases. I turned them on on the way to work this morning and my mood instantly lifted. It was at that point I decided to end my 7 year relationship with KTIS. I e-mailed them, explained why I was done and now I am on my way.

I am once again looking forward to my drives to work with my new radio station friend, KLOVE!

Take Care,
Jackie

3 comments:

Kathy G said...

Isn't it amazing how music is such a part of our lives?

I detest corporate-sponsored radio, with its commercials and limited play lists. Instead, I listen to a community radio station, with volunteer programmers who come in each week to play the type of music they're passionate about.

Jen said...

Sorry you had to reschedule your Christmas. Hope you and your family enjoy your time together.

Rachel Cox said...

We listen to KLOVE here too. :-) It is our only option though... but I like it well enough. :-)

Bummer about the delayed Christmas! Everyone always talks about how they want a White Christmas but actually it causes a lot of problems! ha!