Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sleeping in and Delilah


Now that the drama with our old apartment is pretty much behind us (The check for our security deposit is in the mail and we are ready to move on with our lives), we are really starting to find even more blessings that come with our new place. One of them is the City Park where Pretzel likes to peek in the bushes looking for birds and we enjoy the open area with it's trees and hills.


There are two big changes that have happened in my routine since our move. The first is: I am actually comfortable enough to go into work a little later than I usually do. My commute went from 30-45 minutes one way down to 15-20 minutes. Also our apartment is so peaceful and comfortable it is nice to be able to not be up at the first alarm all the time. My average start time at work used to be between 4-6am. Now it is between 5:30-7am.


The other big change is in my nighttime routine. At our old place we had to deal with screaming kids and the wonderful downstairs neighbors to the point we could not be on the deck anymore because they would climb in and out the window and upset our dog. Not the case here. It is so peaceful around here, tonight I sat on the deck with Pretzel and started the second book in the Twilight series. I also love opening the deck door and feeling the cool breeze come in, instead of watching TV each night like I used to I have rediscovered listening to the Delilah show at night. She used to be a favorite of mine right out of college when I was working overnights at a Residential Treatment facility for teenage girls. Over the years I have listened to her now and again but not as a habit. More women listen to Delilah each evening than to any other radio host in the United States. Some of the song requests she fits to pick the listeners stories I think are a little cheesy, but overall I love hearing the readers stories and songs I have not heard for quite awhile. I do have to watch my Hell's Kitchen on Tuesday nights but the rest of the time I like to listen to Delilah when her show is on the air.


-Jackie

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

So happy the new place is working out for you. It's nice to have the balcony to enjoy and I'm glad Pretzel has a fun place to explore.

Becky said...

So glad all the difficulties with your old apartment are behind you. Your new place sounds wonderful. I have also been trying to get out of the habit of sitting in front of the TV in the evenings and instead just watch the few shows I enjoy. It has been so easy for me to fall into this pattern now that I am working again as I am often tired after work. I know I can and should make better use of my time.

Did Delilah ever play your dedication?

Jackie said...

Nope. Wish they had!