Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day 223 (November 17th)--A new form of First Aid

Today I went to a training my supervisor signed a small group of us on concerning Mental Health issues. It was really interesting. One of the breakout sessions I went to was called Psychological first aid. It was covering how to provide assistance to those who have recently experienced a traumatic situuation. Like First Aid, I received a card when the course was over but this card is a pocket guide to carry with me and go over when I may be in this situation. I really enjoyed the trainings I went to and just wanted to share with you one interesting point that was brought up in the keynote speakers time.

"I worked with a patient who was diagnosed with late onset schizphrenia. Prior to this she had been hospitalized and treated with cancer. She stated 'I was treated well when I had cancer.' When you or someone you love has an illess such as cancer people send flowers and come to visit. When you or a loved one is suffering from a mental illness, one tends to feel isolated. The flowers do not come and the visitors are few and far between."

(NOTE: This was a point that had a big effect on me. This is not a point to debate whether mental illness is as serious as other physical diseases. Thank you.)

-Jackie

3 comments:

Jen said...

I bet that was an interesting course.

Sydney said...

I'm not debating anything. Except to say that I agree with that quote. From personal and family experience I know that mental illness issues turn you into an outcast or at least make you feel that way. There has been a rather large marketing campaign in Canada on this subject...but I'm not sure it's changed many attitudes. Even I battle myself over it on many days...

Lise said...

Ooh I like this one too! You have been doing some great stuff lately. It's so true, and the people that come through our clinic often say that it's so hard and sad for them that people don't know how to support them during their mental illness. People often feel awkward and don't know what to say I know. On our website (www.blackdoginstitute.org) we have beautiful cards to send to a friend suffering from depression. After all, they appreciate cards as much as physically ill people :)