Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 329 (March 4th)--Aerobically effective




I have to say that sometimes my best ideas for new things come very spur of the moment. This is one of those times.

I am a Proud owner of a Wii. My husband is a huge gamer---I am not. I do like the old school Nintendo with games like Super Mario Brothers 2 but it's not something I put my heart and soul into or look for the newest systems, etc. The Wii however, has impressed me. This afternoon I was exhausted (after starting work at 4:30AM) and napped for 3 hours. Tonight I played Wii bowling and Tennis (not the new thing) but I wondered if it counted as exercise so I consulted some studies (this is one of them) to see if the regular Wii games actually burned calories. I was pleased with the results. They actually had a guy exercise for 30 minutes a day with the Wii without making any changes to his diet or adding any additional exercise. There were results. I do plan on mixing Wii Sports in with other forms of exercise and down the road I really want a Wii fit but I was glad to do this new thing and get this information.

BTW, that is a picture of my hubby playing on the Wii. (Though he prefers his PS2)

-Jackie

3 comments:

Colette said...

I've only played the wii once, but I tried the boxing and it should definitely count as exercise.

Kathy G said...

I read that they're putting Wii machines in nursing homes, because it's a good way for the residents to stay active.

Michelle said...

I have cousins and friends who absolutely love Wii Bowling.