Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day 343 (March 18th) Standing up for what is right

DISCLAIMER: This entry is not a forum for people's political views. The comment section will also be moderated. This is something I have always wanted to do and I did it. Now onto my regularily scheduled post...

Since we are in a recession I know many states are having to deal with some steep defecits. Our Governor of MN (Tim Pawlenty) has been making massive cuts to Social Service funding (cutting dental care to those clients who cannot afford it, removing housing vouchers, etc while putting funding into a new Baseball stadium). With the economic bailout money from the Obama administration and money from a Tobacco settlement paid out to MN, it pretty much elminates our deficit. The Senate of MN is proposing a balanced way to end the defecit while Tim Pawlenty is trying to put a 4 year freeze on additional Human Services funding (for families, the elderly and the disabled). Last week, the Minnesota Senate leadership released a budget plan that addresses the deficit in a balanced manner. To solve our massive deficit, the Senate proposed raising $2 billion in revenue and $2.4 billion in cuts (7% cut to every area in the state budget). By both raising revenue and distributing the cuts across the board, we stop the majority of the budget solution coming from services for low-income children and family, the disabled and the elderly - as has been the case in previous years.

Today I took action and wrote to my representatives (ALL OF THEM) along with fellow Social Service workers like myself in support of the MN Senate budget plan. As a Social Worker I have always found it very important to stand up for what is right. This is one of those times.

-Jackie

1 comment:

Kathy G said...

Good for you!

Although I've expressed my opinion to my legislators many times, it's always been through church...fill out a slip with your name and address, and we'll package it up with everyone else who has an opinion about this subject.