Friday, August 29, 2008

Day 143 (August 29th)---This is newsworthy?


My husband actually inspired today's new thing. At the grocery store (where I was picking up soda crackers to ease my still ailing tummy) we came across this cover of people magazine. We were both appalled that this was on the Cover. We both feel that there is a lot more news to cover in the world than how Jessica Simpson found love again (after she walked away from love with her first husband Nick Lachey not to mention I think her Country song is terrible). I was so appalled I went home and submitted a letter to the editor (see below).
To Whom it may concern,
I came across your latest issue of People at the grocery store and have to say I was highly disappointed in the cover story. With all the things that are going on in the world (an economic recession, the end of a very amazing Olympic games and the brink of an election that could change the face of America) the cover story is Jessica Simpson's finding love again? If memory serves me correctly she is the one who walked away from her marriage with Nick Lachey. Also what makes her so different from the millions of Americans who have suffered heartbreak and had to rebuild their self image in hopes of finding loves again?

-Jackie
Minneapolis, MN
I do not know if this letter will be printed or any attention will be paid to it. But it made me feel better just having my say about it all.
-Jackie =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well i first must say that i'm embarrassed to admit that i saw that magazine at the grocery store too and i had the opposite reaction...i wanted to buy it. i just get suckered in by stories of celebrities...i can't help it.
however, after reading your letter i completely agree with you...there are much more important things to cover than her. "people" seems to have changed a lot in the past few years. they try to compete with "us weekly" and those types of magazines...i think it's ridiculous that they usually pay the most $$ (MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!) for celeb baby pix.
i also must say that i am very tired of seeing obama and his wife on every magazine cover.

Anonymous said...

make sure your brain is at maximum performance ability...those questions are ridiculous!

Lise said...

Hey Jackie that's awesome! I have never submitted a letter to the editor but I think I will definitely put it on my list of things to try. And you made such a valid point, I hope they do publish it - that would at least show that they're open to addressing criticism. But I doubt it! Keep us posted on it.