Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 366--April 10th--New Good Friday Tradition

I am someone who wants to attend Good Friday Services each year. One year I ended up in the emergency room and remember telling my husband "But we are missing Good Friday Services." This year my husband was helping out a friend with his new business so it was just me. The church we attend has 3 campuses but for services like Good Friday and Ash Wednesday services are held at the main campus only. I hate getting in and out of there so I decided to try something different.

I was going to go to a Catholic Church at midday but I was having a rough day so I ended up going to the first church I found with a 6:30 PM service. I had only been to this church for taste tests and had worked there during the election. I grew up ELCA Lutheran and this was a MISSOURI SYNOD Lutheran Church which is very different that what I was used to. The people were very friendly and though I walked in late (during the sharing the peace with one another) I was greeted right away and given a bulletin. The interesting part was during the Seven words of Good Friday they had people by letter of their last name come up and pound a nail into the cross to represent the sinful nature for which Christ died. I did participate in this and found it to have a deep impact on me. My husband was raised strict conservative Baptist and I asked him about that when he got home. He said that the Baptist Church found things like that Blasphemous and they would have not done that. (He is not fond of his upbringing in that Church..I'll leave it at that.) It was a good new thing for me to do but I still want to attend a Catholic service sometime to see what it is like. (For those of you wondering, my husband and I attend a Non-Denomination Church).

-Jackie

1 comment:

Kathy G said...

Since husband Tony wasn't working on Friday, he decided to participate in all the Good Friday activities at our parish church.

They had morning prayer at 8:30 (which took the place of the Mass normally at that time; there is no Mass on Good Friday). He came home, then went back up for the Stations of the Cross at noon, followed by the Seven Last Words of Christ at 1:00.

However, he passed on the evening celebration; I was not feeling well and we stayed home and sat on the couch!